ARDL is delighted to announce that the annual Marion Simmons QC prize is now open to entrants:
You are invited to submit an essay or article on a regulatory law or disciplinary law topic of your choice. The first prize is £2,000, the second £1,000 and the third £500. The competition was set up in memory of the late Marion Simmons QC, who sadly died on May 2, 2008, aged 59. Marion was a barrister, recorder,
arbitrator and, latterly, chairman of the Competition Appeal Tribunal. Her areas of practice covered a wide range of financial and commercial law, including competition and regulation. Marion served on ARDL’s Committee for two years and was committed in her support of young lawyers. Competition Terms and Conditions: To be eligible, an entrant must fall into at least one of the following categories (subject to the discretion of the competition organisers to extend eligibility on a case by case basis as they see fit):
- undergraduates or postgraduates in study at a recognised educational establishment in the United Kingdom;
- trainee solicitors in the UK;
- pupil barristers in the UK;
- those training in the UK as part of a Chartered Institute of Legal Executives’ approved training programme;
- solicitors who qualified in the UK and who have been so qualified for fewer than three years;
- barristers called in the UK fewer than three years ago;
- those who qualified with Cilex in the UK and who have been so qualified for fewer than three years;
- those who are taking a period of up to sixteen months as a sabbatical or “gap year” within their undergraduate or postgraduate study or after such study and before starting a confirmed place as a pupil barrister in the UK, trainee solicitor in the UK or Cilex training in the UK.
Entries must be no longer than 1,500 words (word count includes footnotes but excludes bibliography) and should be type-written in the English language. The judges’ decision will be final.
Entries must be submitted so as to be received by 5pm on Friday 24 April 2020 by post or email to: Nicole Curtis, Bates Wells Queen Street Place, London EC 4R 1BE; email@example.com